Re-enrollment initiative brings back retired sailors

From left: RAdm Craig Baines, Commander Maritime Forces Atlantic, LS Kenneth Squibb, LS Steven Auchu, and Formation Chief, CPO1 Pierre Auger at the re-enrollment ceremony at CFRC Halifax on June 7. Photo by Mona Ghiz, MARLANT PA

From left: RAdm Craig Baines, Commander Maritime Forces Atlantic, LS Kenneth Squibb, LS Steven Auchu, and Formation Chief, CPO1 Pierre Auger at the re-enrollment ceremony at CFRC Halifax on June 7. Photo by Mona Ghiz, MARLANT PA

Ryan Melanson, Trident Newspaper ~

The Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) has been making an extra effort to bring recently retired sailors back to the organization, and the first two to take advantage of this Skilled Re-enrollment Initiative have now made it official.

LS Kenneth Squibb and LS Steven Auchu, both Naval Electronic Sensor Operators (NESOPs) with sailing experience, who each retired from the navy less than two years ago, will be back putting their skills to use with the fleet. They participated in a re-enrollment and enrollment ceremony alongside new recruits at CFRC Halifax on June 7.

The Skilled Re-enrollment initiative is a result of growing attrition rates that have put stress on some navy occupations. Letters have been sent to identified members from trades such as NESOP, Naval Combat Information Operator, Sonar Operator, Naval Communicator and Marine Technician, to invite them to re-enroll but keep their former rank and occupation.

RAdm Craig Baines, Commander Maritime Forces Atlantic, presided over the ceremony in order to welcome the two sailors back into the fold, as well as welcome the new recruits.

The main goal of the initiative is to ensure those who recently left the organization are aware the door remains open should they wish to restart their military career.

“Today we’ve re-enrolled two NESOPS, and these two individuals have important skills that are, quite frankly, needed on the ships right now, so we’re very happy to have them,” said RAdm Baines.

LS Squibb said the extra push from the Skilled Re-Enrollment Initiative, which can include a recruiting allowance in some cases, was a factor in bringing him back to the navy.

“It was something I was considering, but I was still enjoying my time with my family and I wasn’t sure about it. When I got the letter and heard about this, that definitely had an impact on my decision.”

In addressing the new recruits at the ceremony, RAdm Baines recalled his own enrollment in the military nearly 31 years ago, and the uncertainty that came with it. He would eventually settle into a career that’s brought him to more than 30 countries and allowed him to serve Canada in exciting ways, but said the friends and colleagues met along the way have provided the biggest highlights of his life in the navy.

“The people you’re with today, and the people you’ll meet along the way will be what inspires you to stay and be motivated and be a part of the team. The calibre of people within the Canadian Armed Forces is terrific.”

Along with the NESOPS returning to the navy, the ceremony welcomed 12 recruits: Jaclyn Buell, Logan Countway and Sarah Goodman, all from Halifax; Brandon Crawford of Aylesford; Kelly Godfrey of Lake Echo; William Grant of West Porters Lake; Brian McLea of Bedford; Joshua O’Reilly of Kingston; Russell Sabine of Boutiliers Point; David Szasz of Margaretsville; Kristie White of Hammond’s Plains; and Mitchell Williams of Hardwood Lands.

Filed Under: Top Stories

About the Author: The Lookout Newspaper can trace its history back to April 1943 when CFB Esquimalt’s first newspaper was published. Since then, Lookout has grown into the award winning source for Pacific Navy News. Leading the way towards interactive social media reach, we are a community resource newspaper growing a world wide audience.

Leave a Reply




If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.